Monday, May 24, 2010

Caterpillars

I was going to take a picture for you but, my 6 year old happened before I got a chance.  Ours looked just like the one in the pic though.  Read below to understand.  

*Disclaimer: This could possibly be a post that only Grandma can appreciate, but I'm going to post it anyway.  

Yesterday, my family and I were working in the yard.  We were getting our gardens ready for the veggies we're going to plant.  As you can imagine, we found lots of worms and one, very green, slightly fuzzy caterpillar.  I have to explain my oldest daughter.  She is a sensitive heart who loves nature and just about everything in it.  She quickly attaches to needy, innocent little creatures. She immediately picked up the little green caterpillar and, after feeling it, named it "Fuzzy".  

The girls took Fuzzy to the tree and laid him on the branches.  Hubby and I continued to dig in the garden as the girls laughed and played with Fuzzy. Five minutes into their bonding, I hear my youngest laugh and say, "Mama, fuzzy just pooped!"  Hubby and I looked at each other and laughed.  Then I hear her say, "Well, I guess we know which end is which now."  That girl cracks me up. I didn't even know she was wondering about that.  

Later on, my youngest is running around the yard with Fuzzy in her gloved hands (there is no way she'd touch anything found in the yard without gloves). Well, what do you get when you have a 6 year old running in the yard with a lightweight caterpillar in her hands?  Yup.  She dropped Fuzzy.  Fuzzy was is green.  The grass is green.  Needless to say, we did not find Fuzzy.  I thought about the fact that Hubby was going to be mowing the grass shortly, but did not voice my thoughts out loud.  

Just as we were sitting down for dinner, I hear my oldest reading her journal to her sister.  It went something like this: "Today I found a caterpillar.  I named him Fuzzy.  I played with him until my sister dropped him in the grass. Then my Daddy mowed.  So, now Fuzzy is probably dead."  I held my breath and looked at Hubby.  Apparently, they all knew what I thought I hid so well. Daddy mowed and there is a good chance that Fuzzy did not make it back to the tree.  My youngest looks at me and says, "Mama, do you think Daddy got Fuzzy with the lawnmower?"  Hubby and I look at each other as he gently replies, "Well, there was a lot of time between when you dropped Fuzzy and I mowed.  So he probably made it back to the tree."  That seemed to appease both of them.  Phew!  

It's amazing to me how kids don't miss a beat.  You think they're not paying attention, but don't be fooled, they don't miss a thing! 

How have your kids amazed you, or made you laugh by something that caught you off guard?

Thanks for stopping by, 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...