Thursday, February 16, 2012

Makin' Stuff


Today I did something I haven’t done in a long time.  I made stuff!  I made a few tubes of lip balm and some Tub Scrub. 

I got a recipe from a friend recently who says she makes a batch and cleans her tub while she’s in the shower.  Since my usual approach to cleaning the bathroom is “clean it when you notice it’s getting gross”, this style of cleaning appealed to me.  

I enjoy making my own products, so I was excited to try this one out.  It’s super easy to make and if you’re someone who regularly makes your own products, you should have these things on hand:

Tub Scrub Ingredients

Tub Scrub

Ingredients: 
  • 1 cup baking soda
  • ¼ cup + 1 Tbsp of liquid castile soap
  • 1 tsp of glycerine
  • 10 drops of Melaleuca
  • 10 drops of Citrus Bliss (or another citrus scent you like)
  • Mason Jar


Directions:
  • Mix all of the ingredients together until you get a frosting-like consistency
  • Store in a mason jar

I plan to keep mine by the shower.  I haven’t used it in the shower yet so I’m not sure how long that batch will last, but I’ll keep you posted.  I did, however, try it out on my stainless steel kitchen sink.  It has a great texture and made my sink so shiny!  It’s creamy and slightly abrasive.  I was tempted to rub it into my face! 

One of the great things about this scrub is that it’s non-toxic. That means my kids clean their own tub.   



frosting-like consistency


Lip Balm

There are several different recipes you could find for lip balm.  The trick is to find the consistency and texture you like.  Here’s a recipe I came up with that I really like:

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp beeswax (you can purchase at your local health food store)
  • 1 tsp fractionated coconut oil (I use doTERRA brand)
  • 1 tsp cold-pressed coconut oil (health food store)
  • 2 Empty chapstick tubes or containers (you can purchase or use your old ones)
  • Essential oil of your choice (the amount will depend on the strength of scent you want.  I’ve used wild orange, melaleuca and lavendar for our winter chapped lips, and also doTERRA’s On Guard blend to help our immune systems fight germs)


Directions:
  • Melt all of the ingredients (except for essential oil) in a double boiler (I do not have one so I use a smaller pot tucked inside of a larger pot)
  • Remove from heat
  •  Add essential oil
  • Pour into chapstick tube or container (this batch should make 2 full chapstick tubes with a little bit left over.  I have not mastered quantity yet)
  • Let cool for 20 minutes before closing

  
Well, that’s all folks!  Let me know if you have any questions.  


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...