Monday, November 1, 2010

Creative Prayer

Photo Credit

Growing up I always thought that I had to pray right before bed.  I don't know why I thought this but, I remember feeling guilty all the time because I'd fall asleep without praying.  As I matured in my relationship with the Lord, I realized I didn't have to pray right before bed.  I can pray anytime!  And trust me, I do.  I pray all day long.  

Prayer doesn't have to be some ritualistic task that has to take place in a certain posture or location.  You don't have to know all the right words or terminology.  It's simply talking to God like you would talk to a friend.  He wants to hear our fears, our joys, our frustrations - anytime, anyplace.  For me, praying is like breathing.  It's an ongoing conversation between me and God.  I do have times where I sit and have more concentrated prayer, but often times it's all day long.  It's equally important to listen during prayer as it is to make your requests known to God.  He has things to say to us as well.  We miss out on a huge part of a healthy prayer life if we leave out the listening part.      

Let's face it, life is BUSY.  Sometimes it's hard to find time to sit and pray (and listen).  Not only do we want to have quiet time for ourselves, but we also want to lift our family up in prayer.  Like I said above, prayer doesn't have to be ritualistic.  You can find creative ways to pray throughout the day.  My husband likes to pray during his drive to work. I have a friend who likes to pray in the shower.  I have other friends who like to go on prayer walks.  It's up to you to figure out how to incorporate prayer into your day. 


A few years ago, I read a book by Lisa Whelchel titled, "Taking Care of the Me in Mommy."  At the end of chapter two she has a "Rest Stop" that is a list of ways to pray during your everyday tasks.  I want to share this with you in the hope that it will spark some creativity in you.  You can use her ideas or come up with some of your own.  Enjoy!


Laundry Prayers
  • While sorting - ask the Lord to sort out your life, showing you areas that need to be reprioritized, changed, or thrown away. 
  • During spot removing - pray to be cleansed from distinct stains and sins in your life. 
  • While adding bleach - ask God to remove residues from things you encounter because you live in a fallen world. 
  • When pouring in the softener - ask the Lord to soften your heart and give you a teachable spirit. 
  • When loading washer - pray for people who need to be washed "white as snow" (Isaiah 1:18)
Folding Laundry Prayers
Pray for the person whose clothes you are folding.  Here are a few examples to get you started:

  • Husband's undershirts - pray for integrity.
  • Your nightgowns - pray for unity in marriage.
  • Son's pants - pray for physical protection in all his roughhousing and tumbles.
  • Daughter's shirts - pray for modesty.
  • Socks - pray for God to be Lord of their lives from the top of their head to the soles of their feet.
  • Underwear and Briefs - pray for purity, protection, and future reproductive health. 

Prayers for Specific Areas of the House
As you clean, pray over specific rooms and related activities in those rooms:

  • Family Room - pray for harmony between children, purity in TV watching.
  • Kitchen - pray for God to provide daily bread, healthy eating habits. 
  • Dining Room - pray for great communication among family members. 
  • Kids' Bedrooms - pray for peaceful sleep, time to relax, good study habits. 
  • Master Bedroom - pray for sweet sleep, for a healthy sexual relationship with your husband, for time to spend relaxing with each other. 

Housecleaning Prayers
Pray about issues that correspond with your activity: 

  • Vacuuming - ask the Lord to shine light on hidden areas to remove things you haven't even realized had become embedded in your life. 
  • Deep-cleaning bathroom - ask the Lord to remove a problem area in your life or a family member's life.
  • Furniture polishing - ask the Lord to polish and refine areas in your life. 
  • Picking up toddler toys - pray for patience to teach your children.
  • Preparing meals - pray for your hands to be God's hands in your children's lives; pray for provision. 

A Week Without Prayer Makes One Weak:
When you feel overwhelmed with prayer requests or concerns, perhaps you will find it helpful to categorize your prayer lists and divide them by the days of the week.  For example: 

  • Monday you could pray for the sick. 
  • Tuesday could be the day you pray for the widows and the needy.
  • Wednesday is a good day to pray for your church and church leadership. 
  • Thursdays you could focus on America and social issues. 
  • Friday could be devoted to those in need of salvation - both known and unknown. 
  • Saturdays would be for extended family and close friends. 
  • Sunday would be designated for all the other prayer requests you've received that week. 

I hope this has been encouraging to you.  What creative ways do you incorporate prayer into your day?  


Thanks for stopping by,



1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing post and so encouraging to me. I have been fasting once a week and pretty much squishing all my important prayers into one day rather than having an ongoing conversation with God. I love the ideas for prayer while doing daily tasks.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...