Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

I was looking through this cookbook that I got from the library and found a recipe for Baked Oatmeal.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  I figured the worst that would happen would be that it turned out to taste just like oatmeal - warm and mushy.  So, I decided to give it a shot.  

With the help of my 7-year old, we made this recipe this morning before school.  It was really quick and simple.  I dished it out and we all agreed that it needed something more.  Because we did this before school, we didn't have a lot of time to experiment.  We threw a little butter on it and sprinkled cinnamon and sugar over the top.  That was a sufficient quick fix but, it still needs something more.  I don't want to give up on the recipe because it has potential to be a good one to add to our breakfast list.  

This is what I'd like to do: I'd like to give you the recipe and you either read through it or bake it yourself.  Then get back to me with what you think would be a good topping or adjustments to the recipe to make it better.  I'm usually pretty good at altering recipes to make it more to my liking, but my mind is drawing a blank.  

Here is the recipe. Let me know what you think.  (Eventually, when I get a camera that takes decent pictures, I'll add pictures to the recipes I share.)

Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients: 
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup brown sugar 
2 eggs (or 4 egg whites)
3 cups uncooked rolled oats
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup skim milk

Directions: 
1. In a good-sized bowl, stir together oil, applesauce, sugar and eggs.
2. Add dry ingredients and milk to mixture.  Mix well.  
3. Spray 9x13 baking pan generously 
4. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.  

What do you think?  Are you up for the challenge?  

Thanks for stopping by,

1 comment:

  1. Try adding salt to your baked oatmeal. It was exactly what my recipe needed! Now I always put salt in my oatmeal and steel cut oats.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...