Monday, October 4, 2010

Chi-Chi-Chi-Chili

Today we are having cool, Fall-like weather.  My favorite!!  In the spirit of cool weather, I am making chili and cornbread for dinner.  I came up with this recipe last winter during a brief moment of creativity.  I want to share it with you.

Heather's Chili

Ingredients: 
1 lb ground turkey (you can use beef or chicken)
1 small onion, chopped
1 (14.5 oz) can of black beans, undrained
1 (14.5 oz) can of great northern beans, undrained
1 (14.5 oz) can of kidney beans, undrained
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 (16 oz) can of tomato sauce
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp cumin


Directions: 
1. Cook turkey and onion in a skillet until no longer pink.
2. Add ALL ingredients to the skillet
3. Mix
4. Cover and simmer for an hour or so, or until desired thickness 
5. Serve with cornbread and EAT! 


For the cornbread, I follow the directions on the back of the Corn Meal container (substituting healthier ingredients).  

You can either simmer this on the stove or you can transfer all the ingredients to a crock pot and cook on low all day.  I've done both.  All I know is that the longer it simmers, the better it tastes.  

What are some of your favorite cold weather recipes?  Please share.  I lack creativity in the kitchen!!  

Thanks for stopping by,

1 comment:

  1. YUM!! I love the idea of putting several kinds of beans in the Chili. I've never tried turkey...may husband would stage a revolt...but maybe I could sneak it in!

    I made chili last night and I'm going to post my recipe later this week. Great minds think alike! :)

    Hope you are enjoying these first cool days!
    Mel

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...