Monday, April 5, 2010

Workin' in the Yard

Today was a gorgeous day!  I spent the day in the yard with Hubby while the kids were in school.  I know, no kids in the house and we spend the day in the yard?!  It had to be done.  At least for today.  *grin*  

Hubby has the week off, so we have a LONG list of things to do around the house.  We worked in the front yard for 6 hours.  See, here's a picture:


Poor Guy had to dig and lay so many bricks.  I felt kinda bad, but it was worth it!  Now we have to mulch and lay grass seed.  It's gonna look great.  You can tell that Hubby is getting on the blog band wagon because he said, "You should have taken a before picture for your blog."  He's cute. 

We also started our seeds for the garden today.  We're starting them indoors, in trays, under a light.  I think I've gone a bit crazy because we started A LOT of seeds.  Hubby just kept shaking his head, saying, "Are you sure you want this many seeds?"  Should I have taken that as a hint?  I say, go big or go home.  Right?  Um, right?  Sometimes I think I have no idea what I'm talking about.  

I do not have a big garden and this is only my second time doing a garden.  The rabbits and deer ate my first garden.  But I didn't really care.  This year I'm going to put some effort into it and really try to get these suckers to grow!  

Here's what we did: 


 After choosing our seeds, we lined up our little pots in the tray.  




Then we lined the pots with coffee filters.  Mmm...coffee.  We used coffee filters to keep the soil in the pots, but the filters still allow the water to be absorbed by the soil.  




I had my little Monkey fill the pots with Miracle-Grow-garden-mix-stuff.  




We added our seeds. 




Wrote on our plant labels, which is VERY important when you're doing as many seeds as we are.  




And last, but not least, we poured water in the tray.  Tomorrow we will put them under the grow light.  



I have a feeling that I'm Hubby is going to have to dig another spot for me when it comes time to plant the Little Suckers.  

Hubby and I are not really yard work people.  We enjoy having a yard, being in the yard, and looking at the pretty yard.  We just don't enjoy working in the yard.  But we had a good time today.  It was great to see the new green growth coming through.  And it's nice to see the results of our sweat!  

We sat on the porch, drinking a big glass of ice water, and looked out at all that we had done.  Let's hope that contentment gets us through the rest of the week as we continue to work in the backyard, garage, and basement.  We may have to re-think our list.  

Thanks for stopping by,

1 comment:

  1. If you have too many plants for your garden, I know someone who will take some off your hands for you! :) I'm excited for you and your garden this year.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...