Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Bathing Suit?!

Well, it’s that time of the year again.  The dreaded time, for most of us, where we find ourselves in a dressing room, sweating and sighing as we try to squueeezzzzee ourselves into this season’s trendy bathing suit. 

I went shopping yesterday.  I was looking for some capri pants and t-shirts.  I tried to avoid it, but I walked by the bathing suit section.  My heart immediately started pumping and my palms got sweaty.  I started calculating how many days I had until I had to put a bathing suit on…. “It’s April 2nd.  I have…one…two…ugh.  Two months!”

If you’re anything like me, at the end of last summer, you vowed not to be overweight another summer. “This winter I’m going to work hard so I’ll be ready for summer.”  And here I am, once again, in the last two months of jeans and long sleeves.

I have been struggling with my weight since the birth of my last child, almost 7 years ago.  I never had a weight issue growing up.  I was active and maintained a healthy weight.  It’s true what they say, having a baby changes your body.  After I had my second child, my body was never the same.  I was depressed, so I ate.  I developed a thyroid issue, which went undiagnosed for about 4 years.  (Gaining 25 pounds in a month and a half woke me up to the fact that something wasn’t right.  I got checked out and sure enough, I had a thyroid condition).  But by the time I got my thyroid under control and came out of my depression, the damage was done.  I was addicted to sugar, overweight, and insecure.  Actually, I still am all three of those things (but working on it).

As I stood in the dressing room the other day, it was hard not to be frustrated.  I started getting angry with myself for still being in the same boat as last year, and the year before.  But I stopped myself.  What good would being angry at myself do?  Instead, I decided it was time for a change. 

I am not in denial.  I know I will never be the size 10/12 girl I was before children.  My hips aren’t as narrow as they used to be!  I  just want to be the size that is healthy for me now.  The me that has birthed two children and enjoys chocolate and real butter.  I want to know that I am taking care of my body the best I can and if that means a size 12/14 or 14/16, that’s fine with me.  I gotta be honest, my husband likes a little curves, and I am happy to oblige. 

If you’re ready for a change, ready to take control of your health, join me and take part in my 30-Day Fitness Challenge.  We’ll start with exercise.  Nothing else, just exercise. 

I’d love to hear what you have to say.  Are you taking the challenge with me?  Leave me a note to let me know.  Let’s do this together! 

Thanks for stopping by,
heather sig

1 comment:

  1. I'm currently on the slim fast approach - exercising very little at this point - not enough hours in the day... or is that another excuse..hmm...

    Love to you
    Kelly
    http://www.ivebecomemymother.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...