...just because I feel like sharing 'em (these are in no certain order):
1. when people use the word "irregardless". Several people I know and love use this word. It is not a word. Here is what dictionary.com has to say about it: an erroneous word that, etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express, attested in non-standard writing fromat least 1870s. It is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including, on occasion, educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis.
Is that it? Do you use it to add emphasis? I don't know.
2. when the toilet paper comes from underneath the roll. It just doesn't feel right.
3. when people drive under the speed limit for no good reason... and even then, it'd better be a darn good reason.
4. spreading cold butter on soft bread... the two just do not go together!
5. sheets that are tucked in at the bottom of the bed. Let me out!
6. when people blow their nose while I'm eating. Gross.
7. when people talk on their cell phones while checking out at the store. I don't actually know why this bothers me, it just does.
8. people who walk through my yard like it's theirs. Again, I don't know why it bothers me. Maybe because it's my space and there are plenty of roads to walk on.
Last summer, we were having dinner in our back yard and this teenage girl walks through our yard right next to where we were eating. What if we were having an "eat dinner naked night", which I could do if I wanted to because it's MY yard. That would have been very awkward. No, I have never done this. I'm just sayin'
9. selfishness - in any form
10. people who talk over another person. I could be in the middle of a sentence and someone else just starts talking.
11. people who complain or gossip all of the time. It just brings the room down, ya know?
12. people who makes lists of their pet peeves and post them on their blogs
There you go. I didn't say they were rational. But irregardless, they are what they are.
Please, please, please share at least ONE of your pet peeves with me. I'm not the only one, right?