Friday, March 11, 2011

Perspective

photo credit
It's Friday and I feel like I've gotten nothing done this week. It's grey outside. It's been raining all week. There is snow on the ground. Avery was throwing up all night. My house is a MESS! My laundry is piled up. I have no idea what to make for dinner. 

... BU...
  • It's Friday :: That means sleeping in and family time for two days! 
  • It's grey outside :: That makes me appreciate the sun that much more when it finally does make an appearance!
  • There is snow on the ground :: I love snow! I'm glad I get to see it (hopefully) one last time before the sun shines!
  • Avery was throwing up all night :: We got to nap together today and I get to be Super Mama and take care of her. I love taking care of my family and I'm good at it!
  • My house is a mess :: I have a home, a warm, happy home! 
  • My laundry is piled up :: we have clothes on our backs - much more than we probably need!
  • I have no idea what to make for dinner :: we have food in our bellies!

It's all about perspective.  A few months back I was grumbling because of the very things listed above.  Then it hit me.  I'm complaining about luxuries that so many people live without.  I'm so spoiled and I didn't even know it.  I have food and shelter.  I have the means to take care of my family when they're sick.  I have running water and heat.  I have clothes and cars and computers and cell phones and iPods.  Most importantly, I have Jesus - the Creator of the universe - who is crazy about me and blesses me far beyond what I deserve.  

I have so much, yet I complain.  So, I decided that every time I complain about something, I need to come up with a positive.  I don't necessarily do this out loud, but I have found that even the act of being aware of my complaining has decreased it so much.  I can't say I don't have my moments.  My patient and tolerant husband will attest to that.  But, my heart is changing and as we change on the inside, it begins to seep outward and into the lives of others.  

What helps you keep things in perspective?  

Thanks for stopping by,





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...