Friday, April 23, 2010

A Nest

Every year since I've lived in this house, birds have made nests and had their little babies on our back patio.  It started when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter.  I would eat breakfast, watch Mama Bird build her nest, tend to her eggs, and then eventually, her baby birds.  Of course, I would rub my belly and think about my own baby.  

This year, I didn't see a nest from my window as I usually do.  But, as I walked around the house, I saw this: 


I can't believe the amount of work that goes into building a nest.  When I have the privilege of watching the Mama bird construct the nest, I'm amazed at how persistent they are.  They literally do this one piece of material at a time.  They'd grab their material, place it on the ledge, fly away and get another.  Rinse and repeat.  Over and over until the job gets done.  Often, the wind blows and knocks down what they just put up.  It's so time consuming and tedious.  This year, we had a stack of hay left over from last year sitting around.  By the looks of their nest, this is where they got most of their material.  

One year, a baby bird fell out of the nest.  I know that we can't touch them because Mama Bird would reject them.  So, I made Hubby go out there with a clean paper plate, pick it up and place it back in the nest.  I knew Mama Bird was watching from the yard.  They are never far way.  I held my breath as we waited for her to come back.  She fed ALL of the babies! Phew!  

I'll keep you updated with the nest.  It won't be long before we see awkward baby birds stretching their necks for food.  

Thanks for stopping by, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...