Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Diggin'

I had a stressful couple of days and wanted to find something to relieve stress, get my hands dirty, and just think. So, I decided to dig in the dirt. Our veggies needed to be transplanted anyway, so I got diggin'. Boy, it felt great! I got our cucumbers separated (see pic above), divided up our carrots, celery, and tomatoes. I planted our sprouting onions, and now it's just time to wait. 

I found the whole process to be very calming. I didn't think I'd have such a good time with such tedious work. But it was just what I needed.

Here's a picture that my six year old daughter took of me...

Of course, after spending three hours in the dirt, dinner was late, baths were missed, and homework was forgotten.  Ooops.  Don't worry, I fed my kids, got homework done the next morning, and showers will happen tonight.  It was well worth it.  

I did, however, encounter one problem that could have been avoided:

"How could this have been avoided?" you ask.  Well, gloves would have worked, but I loved feeling the dirt. Here's a trick for you: if you take a bar of soap and scrape your nails along the bar to get soap under your fingernails, then put on your gloves, you won't get anything under your nails.  The soap is there to act as a guard against dirt.  

I haven't tried this yet, I just recently read about it.  I typically don't like things under my nails, but I figure soap will be easier to remove than dirt is, even with a scrub brush.  I scrubbed the best I could, but then gave up and ended up cutting what nails I did have, short.  That works too.  

Go dig in the dirt!  It's fun.  

Thanks for stopping by, 




























No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...